History on show at Colonial Hinterland Buildings

History on show at Colonial Hinterland Buildings

By Richard Bruinsma

The Sunshine Coast has experienced such rapid growth, in particular over the past 40 years, from tiny fishing and farming villages to the bustling holiday and residential region it is today, that few majestic and historic buildings still exist along the coast.

But that is not the case in the Hinterland, which provided the economic foundations of the region, in lucrative farming and logging, well before the region became known asa holiday’s destination with beautiful beaches.

Most of the region’s historic buildings are found in the hinterland, including Maleny’s Pattemore House, which dates back to 1907 when four brothers built the elegant home for their parents, who farmed the region.

The house today includes a wide range of displays, including grainy black and white photos, early maps of the area, historic records and the tools commonly used for the early residents of the area.

The house is made of pit-sawn white beech, sourced on the property, and today is an attraction complete with elegant gardens, sweeping views and even light refreshment sales.

Just down the road, at Montville, is the beautiful Community Hall, with its colonial charm and spectacular views toward the coast.

The Hall, although dating back to 1903, still remains very much in demand as a beautiful and relaxed venue for weekend weddings, as well as a midweek venue for a wide range of events. It is a picturesque venue that can seat around 100 comfortably.

The hall was repainted in 2015 in classic whites and creams, giving heritage listed building a fresh and bright new appearance.

The hall is located among the leafy trees of the Montville Village Green, and on the edge of the escarpment and its beautiful valley views.

Just down the range at Nambour, on Petrie Creek Road at Rosemount, is the Perren family home, built in the 1870s.

The Perren family name is synonymous with the hinterland district, particularly Nambour, with records indicating that family first settled in the area during the early 1900s.

James Perren supplied cane to the then Moreton Sugar Mill and sold firewood but eventually a new house was needed to accommodate him and his wife Mary’s five young children and, so, the historic Perren family home was built. The nearby land was used to grow pineapples.

The historic home remains intact today where it continues to take pride of place over the valley where the pioneering Perren family provided a significant contribution to the region’s development.

Many historic homes remain standing in the hinterland, providing a reminder in these faster times, of the simple lives lived by the families who lived through challenging times and difficult working lives to help create the foundations of what the Sunshine Coast has become today.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply